"It is not our abilities that determine who we are, it is our choices." ~Albus Dumbledor

November 11, 2010

Death by Duty

Ok, so in our ward, every national holiday, we put up American flags. (I'm sure most wards around here do it too) It is the young men's duty to post those flags in our ward. Through rain, wind, sleet, snow or hail the young men are expected to perform this task. If the ground was so iced over that you could skate on it like an ice rink, the young men are still expected to find a way to get that flag to stay upright. That's right. We are dedicated.

We are now rethinking our commitments.

Today, as many of you might know was Veteran's day! As you may also know, it's the middle of November. Snow has been falling here and there for a couple of weeks now. What is snow a sign of? That's right. The temperature has dropped enough to freeze the moisture. (A.K.A. It's freezing)

Now before I continue, let me just say one thing. I extremely, intensly, severely, with a firey passion, hate the cold. Hate snow. Hate everything that has to do with the frozen moisture. (Besides ice. Ice is cool)

So last night at about 8:00 I recieved a phone call from the 1st counsler in my quorum.
"Hey Trevor!" He says. "Guess what? Tomorrow is Veteran's day! Guess wh-"
I already knew what was coming.
"Flags." I said.
"Yep. 6:00 AM at Zack's house."
So here I come to Zack's house at 6:00 AM. It's dead dark outside. When I get to his house there's a car outside it. I get in and it's loaded with about 8 people. My assignment was Alpine Vista, so we go to the church, load up with our flags and rebar, and head out. By this time it's about 6:15. So we hop out of the car to start posting the flags, and I am just hit by a huge wave of pure coldness. Now I didn't notice this either because it was dark, or I was just to tired to notice, but the wind is huge! Like it always is in Lehi... Anyway, we're fighting against the wind up the street putting a flag at every house. It's so crazy cold outside right now that my fingers were white in the first 3 minutes. So about 10 minutes later I notice another funny thing that I should have noticed a while ago.
It's snowing.
That's just great. Snow + wind = one of the most uncomfortable situations ever. Ever. Anyway, by the time I get home I can't feel any part of my body, (yes, I was wearing a jacket. I'm not stupid) and it's just getting light. 6:50. Well, time to get ready for early morning seminary!

Don't get me wrong, I love teacher's quorum! I love young men's! I love all the war veterans who served our country! But sometimes times I dislike what we do in the quorum and as the young men of the ward. Such as this one experience.
Yes, I need to have a more optimistic attitude about the things we do together... Well, there's something I have time to work on!

2 comments:

  1. Great article Trevor! I enjoyed it verry much! so im guessing your seminary starts at 7:00? Mine starts at 6:30! so i wake up at 5:30! but hey im not comparing in any way. I thought it was a great, well written article.
    your great friend,
    Nate

    p.s.
    we didnt have to put up flags on veterans day here in Georgia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yeah I've got early morning seminary :)And thanks!

    PS
    Lucky! Hahahaha

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free!