"It is not our abilities that determine who we are, it is our choices." ~Albus Dumbledor

August 20, 2012

Owlsome

I feel like it's about time I make a post about Owl City.


Back in 2009, I was in 8th grade. And I distinctly remember driving home from my grandma's house with my 16 year old cousin. He leaned over to me during the drive and said, "Hey man, this song has the greatest line ever to say to a girl!" And then proceeded to play me Vanilla Twilight, pointing out the line as it came up.
The silence isn't so bad
'Till I look at my hands and feel sad
'Cause the spaces between my fingers
Are right where yours fit perfectly
Me, being 14, just gave that awkward smile and nod. The kind of face you give when you're thinking, Greaaaaaat... Can I just enjoy the quiet drive home now? Now, don't get me wrong, this is my favorite cousin we're talking about! But I'm the kind of person where when somebody starts talking to me, and my mind is on something else entirely, I put them in the zoned-out zone. And give them that face.

So needless to say we finished our drive home and life went by wonderfully. Then, on the last week of school for 8th grade I was in the cafeteria sorting out yearbooks to hand out later that day (I was on yearbook staff that year), and we had the radio blasting over the speaker system. Then this song came on the radio, and my ears perked. If you have ever seen a dog's ears come up as somebody walks through the garage door, or when a bag of potato chips is opened, it was kind of like that. But I could tell immediately this song was different than the others we had previously been listening to. This song had a sort of energy - electricity, you could say! (Har har) I'm sure you have made the reference to Owl City's "Fireflies" by now. And if not... Then you have just been enlightened. And I was hooked from the first note.

So I got home from school that day and ran through the front door with reckless abandon, screaming "MOM, MOM! You gotta hear this song I just found!" And I showed it to her. She liked it too, and so we bought the whole album (which is really rare now days because there are options for single-song purchases). I then listened to the whole thing right then; cover-to-cover one might say, for books. But of course this was 100x better than just any book! It was my first Owl City album! And so the interest took flight.


From that time until now, I have been gaining ever more respect for the music wizard behind it all, Adam Young. Not only does he produce amazing music and write beautifully, but he is a guy with values. And that's hard to come by in a musician today with all of the filth floating around cyber space. He doesn't brag, he isn't full of himself, he doesn't support unwholesome activities, and that to me (and so many others) says so much more about a person than anything they could say about themselves.

But the thing that I love most about Adam is that he is religious, and he isn't afraid to admit it. What's more is that he shares his beliefs with whoever will listen! He is constantly giving his credit back to God with whatever success he has. Not only does he stick to his standards, but he is a light to all the others who follow his career with interest, even if they don't share his exact same beliefs. I personally don't share all of the same opinions as him (I'm part of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, or Mormon as we are also known by), but a very good majority of our views are parallel. Which could be a good reason as to why I admire him so much, but I know you all have your own opinions and I respect that as well.

So I suppose the last thing I would like to say about Mr. Owl Young (haha, see what I did there?), is that I wish him the best. For everything! And I for one will continue to follow his ventures anonymously, just enjoying the ride.

And, of course, the music.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free!