"It is not our abilities that determine who we are, it is our choices." ~Albus Dumbledor

December 30, 2010

Good, Better & Best

Have you ever had that feeling? The feeling that you were doing something that was definitely worthwhile, but you knew that you could be doing something better? Because I have. I have it all the time.
We live in a world where everything is so advanced and distractions are just around the corner. (My dad gives me this talk many times) And sometimes, the distractions aren't necessarily bad, such as texting or listening to music on the couch, but there are definitely better things we could be doing. ("Like emptying the dishwasher," says my mother, who's always got something for you to work on ;) But as much fun as texting your friends is, or seeing what's hot on the radio, it's definitely not the best thing we could be doing.

Whenever I get this talk from my dad, I always stop what I'm doing and ask myself, "What are some of the best things I could be doing?" Sometimes I can come up with some, and sometimes I can come up with a lot. Here's a list of the few of the things that come up first when I think of the best things we could be doing:
  1. Read the scriptures! (Better yet, study and mark them with little notes on your thoughts)
  2. Find something around the house that needs getting done, and do it!
  3. Help your mom with dinner (I've been told she loves that)
  4. Work on improving your talents
  5. Work on your eagle (. . . Don't worry it'll be done before Valentines day!)
  6. Call your friends and go do something! (If you didn't like all the previous ones)
  7. Use your imagination! Create another world! (See previous blog post "My little world")

And there are definitely many more things you could be investing your time in. Now I know I'm not the best example at this, but I'm working on it!

D&C 58:26-27

"For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore, he recieveth no reward. Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and bring to pass much righteousness." I also think that the verse after 27 is significant. It says,

D&C 58:28

"For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise loose their reward."

So remember, there are good things, and believe me, there are a lot of them! There are better things, which are still good, but they're not the best things. And the best things are the things that we want to be spending most of our time doing.

Oh, by the way, if you ever see me doing something that looks like it's wasting time, just slap me and say, "Trevor. Good better and best!" (. . . Ok don't really slap me. Just remind me :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow Trevor thats really smart! If this was facebook I would push "Like" :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free!