"It is not our abilities that determine who we are, it is our choices." ~Albus Dumbledor

July 6, 2011

EHS - First Assignment

So this summer my mom has my signed up for EHS. It's an online schooling thing and I'm taking Health so that I have an extra period during school to do something I actually WANT to do. So anyway I started it today and I was compelled to do my first assignment.

Great.

So the assignment was on decision making. At first it was hard. But then as it progressed, I found that doing these assignments could be kinda fun (as you'll soon see). So in my teacher's eyes right now, I'm probably a punk kid who never takes anything seriously. But in my eyes? Well, I'm me. :)

The Assignment
(These are my exact words)

1. Identify the question
Should I go to college?

2. Gather information
What kind of jobs do people who went to college get compared to those who got a job after high school?

3. Brainstorm alternatives
a) Have my parents pay for college
Positive
I. I wouldn't need to worry about it
II. I could spend my time that would have been spent earning money doing something that I'd rather do
Negative
I. My parents might get angry at me for being "lazy"
II. I might start expecting my parents to fund everything I do

b) Pay for college myself
Positive
I. It would "build good character"
II. I would learn how to work
Negative
I. I would have to spend all of my free time working
II. I would miss out on a lot of fun activities my friends might be doing

c) Get a job after high school
Positive
I. No more school!
II. I could start earning money right away
Negative
I. After a while I would be earning a lot less than I could have been earning had I gone to college
II. I probably wouldn't be as happy

d) Drop out of high school
Positive
I. Again, no more school!
II. Get a jump start on the money earning. More hours with less school!
Negative
I. Everybody would know you as "that one kid who couldn't last through a few years of school"
II. My parents would kill me

e) Live on the streets of NYC playing the harmonica with a jar for tips
Positive
I. Harmonicas are cool!
II. I would be able to grow a beard without anybody caring
Negative
I. Let's face it. Who really even tips harmonica players?
II. I'd probably get mugged and all of that hard earned money of the day would be gone

4. Forgotten aspects
Do I really want to spend a whole another six years in school?

5. Your choice
I've decided that I will go to college, because I figure that it's definitely worth it. Plus some things are fun to learn

6. Action plan
I plan to save up as much as I can, and earn as many scholarships as I can so that I can pay for most of my schooling

7. Evaluate
I feel confident in my choice

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free!